Friday 2 November 2007

The President's visit


Yesterday we had a visit from the President of our Institute. Like so many of my fellow members, I did not know his name and can't remember it even now. It's like the Lone Ranger perhaps - no one knows who he is. Personally I have no idea why he came. That's Hamish from the office sitting on the back - they asked him to get off later.

The villagers were gathered around the new toilet block to welcome him and the kids were marched out of school to wave flags and cheer. He arrived in an open topped Land Rover. It was a good move as an ordinary car would have needed to be towed up the road to here as we still haven't settled our dispute with the contractor. Nevertheless I was reminded of one of these trips that the Royals make to patronise natives in foreign lands.

He asked me if I had come far and I wondered if he knew anything at all about the important work we are doing here. I asked him if it was possible to get a reduced membership fee for working in such stressful and difficult circumstances but he didn't even reply.

I tell you. if we had had a bit more time some of us might have pushed his Land Rover into the loch. What a waste of space he is.

No comments: