Saturday 3 January 2009

What recession?


You know, at this very emotional time of year when we all think of departed loved ones, it's easy to forget the problems of the rest of the world and too easy to think about our own difficulties. I'm told by some of my clever friends and workmates that we are in the grip of a recession. I like to think that here in Auchterness, we have built a new community that will be able to resist the ravages of economic stringencies. Wee Betty's Chip Shop is doing fine and attendance at the church is as good as it was a year ago.

I'll tell you another area that isn't in recession - the never ending stream of vandalism and graffiti that is bringing the whole tone of our new project to its knees. These words were scratched on the front of my desk where anyone who visited could see them - BUT I COULDN'T. No wonder so many people were looking at me strangely and laughing. I'm not a fool you know - I can tell when things are not right. Someone from outside the organisation pointed it out to me - a consultant actually. At first I didn't know what it meant but he told me. I felt such a fool - as you know I want to become a consultant in 2009 (it's one of my New Year resolutions) and to have to have this filth explained to me was humiliating to say the least.

It will be a great sadness to leave Auchterness and seek my fortune in the big city. My friends have said that it would be the worst possible time to leave but I haven't seen any evidence of recession and being of an independent mind, I don't believe all that's written in the newspapers. I think I just need to put myself on the market and the offers will come flooding in. It will be one in the eye for my wife and her new boyfriend when she sees how successful I will become. But more of that later - best wishes to you all in 2009!

PS - Oh and special thanks to Anja Loscher for the chocolates - although I ate them all myself, they reminded me of the times my wife and I used to play Pictionary on Christmas Day. Sadly these times are over - she took Pictionary away with her and you can't buy anything as sophisticated as that in Auchterness.

2 comments:

Anja Loscher said...

It's sad to hear that you will be leaving Auchterness, a place I always wanted to visit but never had the chance to do so.
But I wish you all the best for your new carrier as a consultant. I'm pretty sure that someone as qualified as you will find it easy to get many interesting projects.

Nick Wright said...

A good New Year to you, Dave. I hadn't realised you were planning on consultancy - that's excellent news. Ignore those who say it's a bad time to do it. Follow your nose, that's what I say. The right time is when you want to do it. Here's to some collaborative working in 2009!