Monday 24 March 2014

In praise of ABZ

The fantastic architecture of the Moxy Hotel
The fantastic architecture of the Moxy Hotel

You know, I was back on the Urban Realm website today and what a treasure trove of perfect delights lies in store for your browser. Stimulating! John Glenday, that peerless architectural critic and fearless reporter of all things related to property, planning and architecture has curated a fantastic collection of the best that Scotland can offer. It is literally as good as it gets!

I found myself focusing on the amazing news that the Marriott group have selected Aberdeen for their first Moxy Hotel roll-out in Europe! It's a 200-bed venture and I can tell you that I wouldn't mind sleeping there. Every room will have a 42" TV, a computer and...wait for it...USB ports! Well who can live without a couple of them these days? This is a profoundly compelling architectural proposal and I found myself in raptures. I was singing, 'Oh you beautiful doll, You great big beautiful doll...' I think the tea-lady thought I was after her.

I was so excited that I had to find out more. I checked out the ABZ Business Park on Google and of course it is at what you and I would call Dyce but the clever people of Europe's Oil Capitol have renamed it as Aberdeen International Airport. Sounds good to me - hello AIA! To use a great expert planner word, 'connectivity' is key at ABZ - you could literally walk from your office to the plane taking you to foreign parts - perhaps to a few days at MIPIM carousing with some lovely Russian gals!
Connectivity is superb at ABZ!
Connectivity is superb at ABZ!

Anyway I checked out their website and it is completely wonderful. The news section reads like a planner's prayer - just feast your eyes on this - four new commercial property sites to be developed at ABZ...Dominvs Group acquires prestigious double-hotel site at ABZ...Bowtech Products opens flagship HQ at ABZ...Axiom Process Management invests in new HQ at ABZ international business park.

I was quivering with excitement as I browsed through the website. Then I saw something that explained this magnificent collection of Europe's finest architecture in what must be one of the most successful business parks in Scotland - if not in the World!

I clicked on 'links' to find that the project team included at least three of the greatest companies we have ever seen in Scotland. First of all Halliday Fraser Munro are the architects! Fantastic news, and great to know that John Halliday has been showing off his big pencil to his adoring fans at the airport. He is Scotland's Le Corbusier and the brains behind Union Terrace Gardens and the Umbrella over Union Street - to name but a few! Fairhurst are the engineers and they are known for their no-frills ideas about everything. Our old friends Ryden complete the picture with their 'red in tooth and claw' approach to property deals - the finest in the land.
I'm speechless at the profound beauty of this development
I'm speechless at the profound beauty of this development

All in all, this is an absolutely spectacular development and it earns a gold star in my little black book. My hearty congratulations go out to everyone involved in this magnificent exposition of Scottish business skills, architectural endeavour and creative land use planning.

No comments: